Spirit of Giving
CLICK HERE TO DONATE ONLINE AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE!
The Parade is one of the largest food and fund raising events for the Greater Vancouver Food Bank Society. Since 2004, the Parade has collected $151,200 and more than 76,400 lbs. of food for hungry families in the Lower Mainland. On Parade day, we encourage spectators to bring a monetary or non-perishable food donation for the Food Bank. For each dollar donated, the food Bank can purchase $3 worth of food.
HOW TO DONATE AT THE PARADE:
- Bring your food and money donations on Parade Day
- Food Bank volunteers in yellow ponchos will be collecting along the parade route
- Alternatively, you can drop off food and monetary donations at the Coast Capital Savings Christmas Square, located on the 800 block of Robson Street (on the south side of the Vancouver Art Gallery, between Howe and Hornby Street).
MOST NEEDED ITEMS:
- Protein – canned fish/meat/beans
- Natural peanut butter
- Whole-wheat pasta and rice
- Pasta sauce
- Wholesome meals in a can – hearty soups/stews/chili
- Canned fruit and vegetables
- Healthy/low sugar cereal
- Juices – natural fruit and vegetable
- Infant formula and diapers
HOW TO DONATE PRIOR TO THE PARADE:
You can donate online here.
ABOUT THE GREATER VANCOUVER FOOD BANK SOCIETY:
To create empowering environments that provide and promote access to healthy food, education and training.
Accessible, healthy and sustainable food for all.
- 26,500 people access GVFB services each week. This is through 13 food distribution locations and partnerships with close to 100 community agencies.
- 20% of our food bank members are children and youth.
- 19% of our food bank members are seniors.
- GVFB distributes 4.1 million pounds of food each year.
- 26% of our sources of food (in pounds) are purchased by us.
- GVFB works with local farmers and distributors to purchase and share 860,000 pounds of fresh produce.
- GVFB has a team on the road 6 days a week recovering perishable food. We collect from grocery stores, as well as restaurants, hotels and commercial kitchens, contributing to around 79,000 meals each month.
- Nearly 28,000 pounds of food is collected through food drives.
- There is an average of 55 community fundraising events for the GVFB each year.
- Our amazing volunteers contribute an average of 95,000 hours, which is the equivalent of 50 full-time staff in hours each year.